So we're almost half way through Major Project Production at the University of South Wales!
Eek!
Just got out of a talk with prominent character artist Jamie Lee-Lloyd who currently works for Rockstar North as a character artist.
I have to admit, I really quite enjoyed the talk, mainly for a few reasons. Jamies is such a relaxed artist and it's comforting to know that he graduated from my uni, only a few years ago! But what I find more interesting is the process of how he got where he is today.
With only 3 jobs under his belt before entering Rockstar, he really becomes an idol in the sense I'd like to hone in on my skills in order to get where I want to go. And his artwork, well! Let me tell you it's amazing! But more importantly, you can tell how hard he's worked in order to achieve his goals, and that for me is the crunch.
People aren't born with amazing talent, they spend hours and hours dedicating themselves to becoming better. And that is something I am trying to achieve myself. I know I will get there, but I just have to take my time.
With that being said, a group of school children came into uni today as part of a school trip to experience what life is like on the other side of the camera.
The first question I asked the first group of year 4's (roughly 8/9/10 years old) was what movies do you like? and what games do you like to play?
Surprisingly a lot of them said they liked action movies! And also played GTA 5 >_>
This worried me a little bit. It prompts questions like what do this age range really want from their games? Clearly not cute rabbits. Rather guns and realism, perhaps they want to experience what life is like as an adult? Who knows?
But it does make me think about what I want to achieve with the artwork I create? What type of audience am I going for? What do I want to portray?
So on reflection of this, every time I create something, I need to think about what it is I want to achieve and who might view my art. I need to ask myself the questions, who am I? and what do I want to achieve in life?
Bit of a long rant. #SorrynotSorry.
Peace out!
No comments:
Post a Comment